Wednesday, December 30, 2009

What have relationships come to?


I'm a little baffled. More than baffled, I'm lost. I can somewhat understand this concept of how it's "unnatural" for some men to stay monogamous but things are getting out of hand. I received the following on the archaic social network that is Myspace today and it sparked this commentary, please read:

hi im steve(45) and i live and work in nyc would love to chat with u on the phone so only if ur ok leave and or ask 4 my # if not i do understand i dont have a pic cause i am invloved and very unhappy and for now i need to b discreet.its not what u thinnk as we both r together for our son and live our own lives seperate. i am an hounest person who could lie to u but i choose not and would rather expalin to u where i am 100% no DRAMA all i am a good man in a bad place i am invloved but unhappy and looking for one woman that will understand and not prejudge me ru open minded for that i hope so .age race not important please do not write me back and lecture me, that i should leave her. if ur open and understand then email me back steve


WHAT?!

Is this what we're doing these days? Now I'm not particularly into titles. I'm a libra, we like admirers and lovers but THIS...this is a bit much.

In recent weeks, I seem to be having the same conversation: Everybody cheats....do your thing....blah blah blah....

When did my generation lose touch with intimacy? I refuse to believe that this is our fate. Staying together, unhappy just for children. Having multiple partners to no end. Is nobody else terrified of disease? Because I for sure am...

Now I understand love is a different word, mechanism, action, expression to everyone. But is it completely lost on us 80's babies? Have we traded partnership for a nut? One can't help but wonder: for us fast living, quick witted, movers and shakers of generation Y does happily come never or after all the crap and frog-kissing?

By default, we are a rather pessimistic generation, fond of the words "FUCK IT" and "KEEP IT PUSHING" but I don't know if I'm sold or buying into settling. Susan Surandon and Tim Robbins might have split but I still got Kurt Russel and Goldie Hawn! There's hope. Not to mention my grandparents have been married over 50 years and while some may say they don't make that anymore, they do where I come from.

So basically, I think it comes to choice. We CHOOSE much like with everything else to not ask for more. But imagine what would happen if we did....

Thoughts?

0 comments:

A lil inside mi noggin..

My photo
Brooklyn, NY, United States
I'm blunt...and rather observant...DUH that means I should blog! I suffer from, no let me rephrase, I combat living with an AVM on a daily basis. An AVM is an Abnormal Veinous Malformation which affects about 250,000 people in the US (http://www.cumc.columbia.edu/dept/cerebro/AVM.htm#Link8). It affects everyone differently, for me it's caused a constant headache since 2003...litterally. I've been in countless doctors offices, been poked and proded, been through the emotions of being misdiagnosed with a brain tumor. Needless to say, I've been through a lot and not just because of my...let's call it an ailment. Above all I've developed a less than common outlook on life and perception of things.Don't for one minute misconstrue, I'm in no way a victim, I'm self-sufficient almost to a fault and encourage others to turn their weaknesses into empowerment. It builds character and makes for one hell of a screenplay ha! That combined with growing up immersed in a semi-charmed world, and the glitz and glamour of Hollyweird leads to some interesting anecdotes...Here are my thoughts...

There are many other Headcases in the world...here are a few..